The Open Democracy Project is a community story. Hundreds of volunteers, donors and campaign teams have come together over the past five months driven by a shared vision — providing expert advice and powerful tools to any campaign team running for municipal office and maintaining an open platform to build on that knowledge from one election to the next.
The hard work is paying off. We're excited to report that:
- Katie Gilfillan has taken on the role of Toronto Group Chair, coordinating weekly team meetups of 10 - 20 volunteers & new recruits.
- Sam Gregory is leading an Ontario Regional Executive and is working closely with the Open Democracy Project Board on a 2-year strategic plan.
- DemocracyKit presented to 50 women candidates and volunteers at the January Ask Her & Equal Voice Campaign School in Calgary. We're now working with Calgary organizers to launch a DemocracyKit training series in prep for the Fall 2017 Alberta municipal election.
- We're growing! The Ottawa DemocracyKit Group starts up next week (details below). Thanks to the work of Christine Martel-Fleming, Megan Beretta, Micah Richardson, Sebastian Muermann and our friends at Civic Tech Ottawa we have 50 guests registered for the Town Hall at MediaStyle April 5, 6:30pm.
- The countdown is on – DemocracyKit will launch April 25 (details below) thanks to working groups led by Avery Au, Connor Bays, Riley Peterson and Brad Marcoux.